The Boston Preservation Alliance is an independent, nonprofit 501(c)3 organization that brings people and organizations together to influence the future of Boston’s historic buildings, landscapes, and communities. We envision Boston as a continually vibrant, world-class city that respects, protects, and celebrates its historic resources. Through advocacy and education we guide thoughtful change that simultaneously stewards the historic character that defines our city.
Our work includes:
- Providing an independent voice for historic preservation and the quality of Boston’s built environment;
- Setting the Preservation agenda by working with local, state, and federal advocacy and regulatory partners as well as legislators to enhance regulations and policy issues impacting Boston and beyond;
- Giving up-to-date information about proposed changes to historic resources throughout the city and regional and national preservation-related news;
- Reviewing and influencing development projects that impact historic neighborhoods, often providing public comment or meeting with regulators, proponents and concerned citizens;
- Hosting and collaborating on public education activities such as workshops, lectures, and city walking tours;
- Recognizing quality preservation and appropriate new construction in an annual awards program;
- Litigating, when necessary, to prevent actions that threaten loss or irreversible damage to key historic resources and disregard rules and regulations established to protect them.